Solar

Oil, coal, hydrogen, fuel cells, hybrid cars, renewables, geothermal, economical growth



How to design a large Solar Photovoltaic Power Plant (1MW &

Hi,
I am working actively on designing Solar Photovoltaic System for various applications in Oman. I am aware that there are many large photovoltaic power generating stations exist in Europe & USA. I would like to know how to design such large power plant system. I am writing down my questions for 1 MW plant:
1. How to define the photovoltaic system voltage for large power plant (1 MW or above )? 2. How can you convert the DC power produced by photovoltaic into AC power, as that size large inverter does not exist. 3. How to size the transmission line and connect to the available grid? 4. What are the types of metering used in those large capacity plant? 5. How to synchronize the solar Power with the Grid Power?
I hope any one of the photovoltaic experts in this group can anser my questions.
Bye.
Siddhartha Muscat, Oman

How to design a large Solar Photovoltaic Power Plant (1M

Siddhartha wrote:

Hi,
I am working actively on designing Solar Photovoltaic System for various applications in Oman. I am aware that there are many large photovoltaic power generating stations exist in Europe & USA. I would like to know how to design such large power plant system. I am writing down my questions for 1 MW plant:
1. How to define the photovoltaic system voltage for large power plant (1 MW or above )?

That depends on quite a few factors, including design codes and standards (I have no idea which ones might be followed in Oman), manufacturer recommendations on your various system components, and possibly the AC output voltage desired by the utility. In the US, even at the utility level I think PV systems generally do not exceed 600V (though I'm not 100% sure about that).

2. How can you convert the DC power produced by photovoltaic into AC power, as that size large inverter does not exist.

Use multiple inverters in parallel.

3. How to size the transmission line and connect to the available grid?

Again, that's going to depend largely on local standards and requirements, and the requirements of your utility. The IEEE standards 1547 and 929 should give you some idea of what's required, though I have no idea whether they are applicable in Oman.

4. What are the types of metering used in those large capacity plant?

You ought to be able to meter the amount of energy sent to the grid using the same methods that any other power plant would. Is that not what you mean?

5. How to synchronize the solar Power with the Grid Power?

That functionality is generally built into the inverter -- look for a synchronous inverter.

How to design a large Solar Photovoltaic Power Plant (1M

-> David (dow) doesn't get out much....... I get out a lot, but I don't obsess about large inverters. Under what circumstances would a gigawatt inverter be useful? dow

How to design a large Solar Photovoltaic Power Plant (1M

On Dec 14, 10:20 pm, "R.H. Allen" wrote:

Siddhartha wrote: Hi,
I am working actively on designing Solar Photovoltaic System for various applications in Oman. I am aware that there are many large photovoltaic power generating stations exist in Europe & USA. I would like to know how to design such large power plant system. I am writing down my questions for 1 MW plant:
1. How to define the photovoltaic system voltage for large power plant (1 MW or above )?
That depends on quite a few factors, including design codes and standards (I have no idea which ones might be followed in Oman), manufacturer recommendations on your various system components, and possibly the AC output voltage desired by the utility. In the US, even at the utility level I think PV systems generally do not exceed 600V (though I'm not 100% sure about that).
2. How can you convert the DC power produced by photovoltaic into AC power, as that size large inverter does not exist.
Use multiple inverters in parallel.
3. How to size the transmission line and connect to the available grid?
Again, that's going to depend largely on local standards and requirements, and the requirements of your utility. The IEEE standards 1547 and 929 should give you some idea of what's required, though I have no idea whether they are applicable in Oman.
4. What are the types of metering used in those large capacity plant?
You ought to be able to meter the amount of energy sent to the grid using the same methods that any other power plant would. Is that not what you mean?
5. How to synchronize the solar Power with the Grid Power?
That functionality is generally built into the inverter -- look for a synchronous inverter.

Allen,
Thank you very much for your answers. Another question, using photovltaic modules, what is the maximum size of power plant can be built. I was told that for larger plant, solar thermal power plant is a better option. What is the typical generating energy cost of large photovoltaic plant vis a vis solar thermal power plant.
Regards.
Siddhartha

How to design a large Solar Photovoltaic Power Plant (1M

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 15:08:20 -0600, david.williams@bayman.org (David Williams) wrote:

-> David (dow) doesn't get out much.......
I get out a lot, but I don't obsess about large inverters.
Under what circumstances would a gigawatt inverter be useful?
dow

Hi power DC Transmission lines are the main use. The Convertor Stations at each end are essentially very big Invertors although they operate with input voltages a bit higher than your ordinary invertor does.

How to design a large Solar Photovoltaic Power Plant (1M

Siddhartha wrote: ....

Thank you very much for your answers. Another question, using photovltaic modules, what is the maximum size of power plant can be built. I was told that for larger plant, solar thermal power plant is a better option. What is the typical generating energy cost of large photovoltaic plant vis a vis solar thermal power plant.

There is no maximum size for a PV solar installation. It's simply a question of how much money you want to spend. Unfortunately, the cost per kW of such an installation remains pretty constant after a certain minimum size.
Solar thermal power plants get cheaper the bigger they are (up to a point) because steam turbines are more efficient the bigger they are and the technology is already well developed for coal and nuclear power plants.
Anthony

How to design a large Solar Photovoltaic Power Plant (1M

In article , mauried@tpg.com.au (Mauried) wrote:

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 15:08:20 -0600, david.williams@bayman.org (David Williams) wrote:
-> David (dow) doesn't get out much.......
I get out a lot, but I don't obsess about large inverters.
Under what circumstances would a gigawatt inverter be useful?
dow
Hi power DC Transmission lines are the main use. The Convertor Stations at each end are essentially very big Invertors although they operate with input voltages a bit higher than your ordinary invertor does.

David just considers that anything he isn't interested in, doesn't exist, or couldn't possibley be useful.... much to full of himself....

How to design a large Solar Photovoltaic Power Plant (1M

-> > >Under what circumstances would a gigawatt inverter be useful? -> > > -> > > dow -> > -> > Hi power DC Transmission lines are the main use. -> > The Convertor Stations at each end are essentially very big Invertors -> > although they operate with input voltages a bit higher than your -> > ordinary invertor does. -> David just considers that anything he isn't interested in, doesn't -> exist, or couldn't possibley be useful.... much to full of himself.... You really are full of shit. Yes. High-power DC transmission lines do provide uses for high-power inverters. I should have thought of them, especially since I have seen the one that connects England and France, under the Channel. But I recall that, then (quite a while ago), the inverters were rotary machines, DC motors driving AC generators. Maybe those have been replaced now. dow

How to design a large Solar Photovoltaic Power Plant (1M

Anthony Matonak wrote:

Siddhartha wrote: ... Thank you very much for your answers. Another question, using photovltaic modules, what is the maximum size of power plant can be built. I was told that for larger plant, solar thermal power plant is a better option. What is the typical generating energy cost of large photovoltaic plant vis a vis solar thermal power plant.
There is no maximum size for a PV solar installation. It's simply a question of how much money you want to spend. Unfortunately, the cost per kW of such an installation remains pretty constant after a certain minimum size.
Solar thermal power plants get cheaper the bigger they are (up to a point) because steam turbines are more efficient the bigger they are and the technology is already well developed for coal and nuclear power plants.

I pretty much agree with that, though depending on plant configuration you might have to take geography into account in the calculation. A plant of any type -- PV or solar thermal -- that relies on imaging optics (e.g., mirrors to focus sunlight on a target) is going to have difficulty in a region that sees a lot of cloudy weather. I don't know much about Oman, but given its location on the globe I'm guessing you don't see a lot of clouds there....

How to design a large Solar Photovoltaic Power Plant (1M

In article , david.williams@bayman.org (David Williams) wrote:

-> > >Under what circumstances would a gigawatt inverter be useful? - -> > > dow - -> > Hi power DC Transmission lines are the main use. -> > The Convertor Stations at each end are essentially very big Invertors -> > although they operate with input voltages a bit higher than your -> > ordinary invertor does.
-> David just considers that anything he isn't interested in, doesn't -> exist, or couldn't possibley be useful.... much to full of himself....
You really are full of shit.
Yes. High-power DC transmission lines do provide uses for high-power inverters. I should have thought of them, especially since I have seen the one that connects England and France, under the Channel. But I recall that, then (quite a while ago), the inverters were rotary machines, DC motors driving AC generators. Maybe those have been replaced now.
dow

I'm full of "shit"? Well that may be true, as I haven't taken my daily Dump yet, but at least I have some Institutional Knowledge, that PostDates the 1970's, when it comes to GigWatt Inverters.....

How to design a large Solar Photovoltaic Power Plant (1M

Let's see some of the information. I am curious how this is performed without all the bullshit.
"You" wrote in message

I'm full of "shit"? Well that may be true, as I haven't taken my daily Dump yet, but at least I have some Institutional Knowledge, that PostDates the 1970's, when it comes to GigWatt Inverters.....


Energy, oil and gas > Solar

Travelers and hotels or travel site. Flights by vacation and cars.